Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Are you a Bum Genius?



Before I was even pregnant I decided that I wanted to use reusable diapers if we could. I had no idea what kind or how but I really felt convicted to at least explore the options. One of my childhood friends who had recently had a son posted "I love fuzzy buns" as her Facebook status. I had no clue what she was referring to! My brother had a similar nickname in high school and I was wondering what she was talking about.

After doing some online research and talking to my long time friend I realized that there are a lot of options out there for disposable diaper alternatives. I ended up ordering a "Fuzzy Bun" diaper so that I could show it to Phil and see how it worked. At this point Phil was sort of on board but not quite. I think that he thought it looked a little complicated. It is a pocket diaper with snaps to secure it. After playing around with the Fuzzy Bun I thought "Hey, I can do this!"

Eventually I came across the "Bum Genius" diaper that we currently use. I ordered one of the Bun Genius 2.0 diapers and after receiving it realized that it was going to be the way to go for us. It is a pocket diaper that comes with a liner, uses Velcro to fasten it, works like a traditional disposable, and fits babies from 8 lbs. to 34 lbs! I ordered three more so that we had six diapers total to get started.

In January we ordered 12 more Bum Genius diapers because we loved them so much. Now we use reusable diapers most of the time. We have some disposables around in case we are behind on laundry! We really love them. They are economical and I feel good knowing that we are cutting back on the amount of trash that can accumulate because of diapers.

I highly recommend the reusable diaper route for anyone!

4 comments:

Rhonda said...

Have you heard of the gdiaper? http://www.gdiapers.com/
We don't have kids yet, but I'm trying to be informed about all that's available ahead of time. :) And I like to try to be environmentally friendly whenever possible.
They sure have come a long way in diapering technology even just since we were kids.

Jessica Brown said...

i stumbled across your blog awhile ago and then forgot you had it! so of course i had to catch up. it is a totally fun hobby, don't you think? i love it. and you do a great job!

can't wait to read about your adventures in paris!

Jessica Brown said...

... and now you're set up on my google reader (do you know about this wonderful website?) so i won't miss your posts anymore.

Kristin said...

Woo hoo for cloth!!! Have you visited www.hyenacart.com yet? Soooo many different kinds of diapers-- it can become quite addicting! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...