Monday, March 22, 2010

Painful Joy


I'm a mom and some days I have no idea what I am doing or HOW I got here? I honestly thought that I was ready for a challenge. No one has ever given me that as a reason for having children but I really was looking for a "challenge." A BOLD career move I guess you could say. I knew that it would be hard and that life would never be the same again...at least everybody that I talked to wanted to make sure that I was aware. "Oh, I know" I would reply. I guess that I was already moving in the right direction because moms need to be a "know-it-all" whether you are or not. "Fake it till you make it" is my life motto. Maybe that makes me seem shallow but parenting wisdom grows much deeper.


Genesis tells us of a perfect garden.
Genesis 3:16 reads: "To the woman He said, I will greatly multiply your pain in childbirth , In pain you shall bring forth children..." See I knew that childbirth would be painful. Genesis is telling us the truth. Anyone that has given birth or watched the process KNOWS of the suffering that a woman in labor experiences. Temporary pain resulting in GREAT JOY!


However, I have come to realize that this verse in Genesis means much more when applied to motherhood. As mothers we experience great joy at a cost. Any mother knows the sacrifice that she makes daily from the moment of conception. Sacrifices like morning sickness, miscarriage, childbirth, 2:00 AM feedings, "tough love," bad decisions, good decisions, injuries, sickness, and it doesn't just end when your child grows-up and moves out. The list goes on and on. Moms end up carrying around a lot of unnecessary guilt. But the joy is still there.


The joy is so real that it can be painful to let go. So hard for a woman to do.


We are happy when our kids are happy and vice versa. But that should not be the guage for how good of a mom you are. The joy is still there in the grief.

Moms can do some pretty amazing things when the going gets tough. That too can be painful but the joy trumps all.


The reward is two fold. Children want to love their moms no matter if they did a halfway decent job or not. They want our hugs and kisses more than we want to give them. For me that is hard to believe.

The joy comes with the pain.

They are partners.

3 comments:

Strobels said...

You could have not said it any better. As you know I don't have any children yet, but someday I hope to take parenthood on. I feel blessed to have so many wonderful parents around me to look to for parenting advice. I am so proud of you and the Mother you are. Lucus and Micah are blessed to have you as a Mother. When I read your blog and hear story from your Mom I can tell that you truly enjoy being a Mother.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Thank you. Your blog always encourages me and lifts my spirits. Praise God for how He uses His people!

guppy and the worm said...

Like I said the other day ....You and Phil are doing such a great job at parenting! Dad and I are very proud of you both.....Hang in there Mom.. If I could do it... I know you can too!! Its times like these that I feel like I must have done a good job parenting for you to want to take it on! MOM

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...